Tierärztliche Fakultät

Links und Funktionen



International Students

Information for International Students


Please note that all our lectures and courses are held in German. Good knowledge of the German language is a prerequisite for applicants that would like to study at our faculty.

Admission for Foreign Students

The following groups of applicants can apply through hochschulstart.de (Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung)
a) Citizens of the European Union
b) Citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway
c) Foreigners with a German high school degree (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung)
d) Certain Family Members of a) and b) that are living in Germany
For further information please visit the following website http://www.hochschulstart.de/index.php?id=startseite or call +49 180 3 987111 021 (Mo. - Fr.: 9a.m. to 3 p.m.)

All other foreign students need to apply to the LMU directly. Please contact the International Office at http://www.en.uni-muenchen.de/students/degree/index.html

Exchange Students

Students that are interested in ERASMUS+ are asked to contact the ERASMUS coordinator of their home university. ERASMUS+ students and all other exchange students can find more information at https://www.lmu.de/de/studium/studienangebot/angebote-fuer-internationale-programm-studierende/erasmus-und-lmuexchange/. There are different options and it's important if the Home University is a Partner University of our Faculty. If you have any questions regarding ERASMUS at our Faculty, please contact Katharina Göbel.

Practical Training

Only a very limited number of spaces for practical training are available at our clinics. Students that would like to apply for an externship need to contact the clinics directly. If you receive an internship place you must contact Katharina Göbel for an internship agreement.

A list of our clinics can be found on our website:http://www.vetmed.uni-muenchen.de/einrichtungen/klini_einrichtungen/index.html


Doctor’s Degree (Dr. med.vet., Dr. rer. biol. vet.)

Postgraduates who want to obtain a doctor’s degree from the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the LMU need to contact a member of the doctorate committee who does research in their field of interest. You can find an overview of the faculty’s institutes and clinics on our website:
http://www.vetmed.uni-muenchen.de/einrichtungen/vor_und_paraklinisch/index.html and http://www.vetmed.uni-muenchen.de/einrichtungen/klini_einrichtungen/index.html. If a member of the doctorate committee agrees to supervise an applicant, he or she needs to provide the following documents to the dean’s office.


The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine does not offer a PhD-program. There are two graduate schools at the LMU, the Graduate School of Systemic Neuroscience GSN (http://www.gsn.uni-muenchen.de/) or the Graduate School of Quantitative Biosciences Munich QBM (http://www.qbm.genzentrum.lmu.de/phd-program/).

Working as a Veterinarian

Non-EU-citizens with a foreign degree need to contact the Government of Upper Bavaria (Regierung von Oberbayern), if they want to practice as a veterinarian in Bavaria.